Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A rustic tray for Mother's Day... with Martha Stewart Crafts




 (Intro on main blog was here )

Creating something out of reclaimed lumber is a given on my blog. 

But the challenge before me was to create something for Mother's Day with Martha Stewart Crafts by Plaid. Fun!

Being that my mom loved the outdoors, I decided to create a woodsy branch handled tray, complete with coasters, perfect for dining outdoors on the porch or in the yard down below.




Everything you could imagine arrived!


 Brushes, stencils, stencil tape, sponges, tubes, containers, cleaners, even a heat tool so you could make your own stencils. I need to play with that!


... and the shining star... the paint. Guys, the paint. Oh my.

This craft paint goes on glass, wood and fabric. And the line even has a sprayer attachment option! 

But first up, I needed to create my projects.

The tray build



1. Find a board of choice. Scrub and sand well. Cut it down to the desired size. (I just cut one in half)

2. Brace the two boards together with smaller boards, attaching them with screws from underneath. (as shown)

3. Cut down some branches the depth of the tray. Cut four smaller chunks to support the branch handles.



 4. Predrill the branch handles and branch supports.

5. Screw the long branches into the smaller supports from the tops.

6. Flip the tray over and screw the handles in from under the tray.

Done! But it's about to get a whole lot prettier. :)

Crafting with Martha  :)


I wanted to keep with a nature inspired theme, so I chose a vine styled stencil, trimmed down to work in the exact location desired.


The paint was thicker than regular craft paint which made it fabulous to work with. I even mixed two aquas and a brown together and the result was a gorgeous olive green. (not used for this project)


A spray adhesive was used on the back of the plastic stencil. This stuff was just awesome! You spray it on, and within a minute it was ready to use. The stencils were really lovely to work with. Not too flimsy and the designs were just gorgeous.

At one point I needed to reposition the stencil and there was enough adhesive left in order to do that. Cool.


A guy design (dragonfly for my son) and a girl one (doily for me) created two coaster designs, made from scraps of wood.

The stencil tape was pretty awesome. It's a little thicker than typical painter's tape and didn't leave any adhesive on the wood. Loved it.


So cute!  Darker teal was used in the middle of the dragon fly, fading to a lighter tone as the design extended out. The doily was darker around the outer perimeter and lighter inside.

All the painted graphics got hit very gently with a palm sander to further enhance the weathered effect. My plan is to use a satin sealer or wax on the works.

The tray and coaster reveal


Are you ready to go on a little picnic? Me too! 


A funky little nest styled basket layered with a mason jar vase made for a cute centrepiece.




A couple of stubby mason jars made for some cute cups! A piece of junk tied to each one with twine would have guests remembering which cup was theirs.


We'll indeed honour my mom on Mother's Day with a picnic under the big willow tree beside the creek out back.

And I can hear her words already in the most delightful of ways... "It's very Donna-ish!"

I couldn't disappoint her now could I? :)

"Thanks for making it happen, Martha! Coffee and a little junkin' later?"




Disclosure: I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Plaid and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


68 comments:

  1. That tray is incredibly cute. I love the mix of rustic with the stencils. Those mason jars as drink glasses...very pretty too. I have loved everything Martha makes for her craft line. Her glitter is the best. I have not tried her paints but I will for sure after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, it is my new favourite:) You are inspiring and talented!! (OK I will stop now).

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an fabulous tray. I am going to have to try some of these products. Esp. the paint.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Donna,
    Once again, you are so creative. Love your new tray, "It's very Donna-ish!" Happy Mother’s Day to you. :o)
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah You did it! You used Martha's crafts and kept your awesome style! Great job and great tray Donna!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowser, who wouldn't be proud of that for a gift. Great ideas to stencil things up. Finished it off just wonderfully. Enjoy your Mom's day breakfast on that baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun! Love the tray....and so would Martha. :@

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never apply for another MS Plaid review again because my project won't be able to live up to the loveliness that is this tray! Totally your style + Martha. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. Perfect for outdoors or indoors :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet @ Ozarks Livin'April 26, 2012 at 4:55 AM

    Love the pretty with the rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it Donna. I have been looking for a tray for my table and this is EXACTLY What I need. I knew I would know it when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful! So inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As soon as I saw the pieces of old wood I knew I was gonna love it. I will be waiting to hear more about the make your own stencil gadget..... that could be very handy.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  14. you are so lucky to get to work with all the great martha stuff~and i love what you created Donna! You are so....YOU!!!! my favorite part was the coasters and how pretty they came out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the tray, Donna. It turned out Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful Donna! Great plug for Martha's craft line, you made it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. absolutely love that tray! fantastic handle idea. I want you to know I grab the drill and chop saw regularly now, then I don't have to wait for my husband to do it or to hear his opinion about my idea! LOl he just comes home and looks at the finished project. I think he is beginning to get it, since at the last sale we were at, he called me on the phone saying he was holding an old suitcase for me and he spied a nice oil can. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Donna, its a good thing! ;) I love how you kept this true to yourself. The tray alone is amazing, but I love the painted coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donna, you are amazing!! Building that rustic tray, which is fabulous BTW, and making it "pretty" with Martha's paint...I'm sure she is amazed at your creative-ness! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. amazing, beautiful, good for you having the talent to do something like that

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhhh, love it! I want one!!! So awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant as always!! Love what you did and how it's still so "you"...you rock!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Squeal! I love this so much! So "homey" and rustic. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. YEAH...L o v e it!....I would buy that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it looks wonderful and fanciful. Love the stencil design and the twig handles of course. Since I have my bathroom curtains hanging on tree branches a tray such as this would look divine on the back of the 'potty'!
    Kudos to knowing what your mom would like-- and you get to keep it and it's design reminds you of hers, even though it wasn't hers. I totally get it. My mom's been gone 12 1/2 years... I don't know if I KNOW WHAT SHE'D LIKE now...

    take care and happy mother's day to you! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous! I love the handles on the tray and the stenciled coasters are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another Donna winner. Unique, rustic, useful and very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another one of your inspiring creations. I love the way you used the branches for handles. The coasters and stenciling are a perfect finishing touch. Thanks for the inspiration....your mother would be so proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Inspired! Love the mix of rustic wood, stencils and mason jars!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it! This is just awesome... and I bet your mom would love it, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome. Can't wait to see what's on the menu for the picnic. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ditto to what all the other girls said! REALLY CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  33. awesome~!!~
    LOVE this post~!!!!!!!!!~

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  34. Did you feel that? Me, too.

    The UNIVERSE is shaking!!!

    I ADORE this so very much! IF, IF, IF you happen to want to maybe sell some of these I just MIGHT use my PAYPAL and buy one!

    xo
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cute project as usual ... and great photos! Have a happy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very Donna-ish, indeed! Loving it, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this!!! Such a perfect mix with the rustic wood and the pretty stencils...and those jar glasses with the junky markers are the icing on the cake :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm sure your mother would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Donna, you are the master of rustic girliness-- girly rusticity? Love your tray and coasters. And what a great idea for drink markers- you always amaze me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous! I am so in love with all of it! and I love how you tied "junk" to the mason jar cups, I never would have thought of that. I love your cleverness.

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  41. Seriously amazing Donna!! (Like everything you do.) ;) I love how the stencil looks on the wood - the perfect combo of pretty and rustic!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Absolute genius. Yep - that's what you are. LOVE IT. This project would make any mom proud!
    kosec@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you for making my day as cute as your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just love this....I'm going to attempt to make this for my son (Jarrett & new daughter-in-law Johnnie) for there wedding this summer (Kentucky Derby Theme)this will be a hoot for them and something (blue) and personal from me!!! Great Idea! brewerbev4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Awesome idea! Thank you.
    Nancy Carr nancythedove@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. WOW! Very creative and adorable! I would love to receive that as a Mother's Day gift. Thanks for sharing your talent! ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  47. I absolutely love your creations...and display....the first word that came to my mind was enchanting...

    hugs, mb

    ReplyDelete
  48. Donna...so pretty and so you! Love it! You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the delicate stencil patterns against the rustic wood! Seems like a perfect reflection of motherhood: tough, delicate, beautiful service.
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my, this is awesome! I love the rough, rustic look along with the delicate stenciling. GREAT job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. love it all!! you're such an inspiration!! in fact, I'm trying to get my talented husband to work some magic with some pallets, but he's having difficulty 'undoing' the pallets, so it's slow going. I envy you for your talent!!! but I love your creations!!! thanks for sharing.

    Angela from NJ

    ReplyDelete
  52. You amaze me girl. Love it!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love your tray and coasters! Funny, I decided to go "rustic" with my Martha Post too-with an outdoor pallet garden sign-great job, love your style, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Absolutely Lovely Donna!
    Sincerely,
    Laurie AKA Idgie
    idgiescottage@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. That is absolutely AMAZING! You are so talented and creative!!!

    Sarah @ www.allthingsblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. You are just so dog-gone clever! I'd be using that all the time this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  57. That tray is amazing - absolutely love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Darling!! Your tray is such a great idea and I love the dragon fly coaster! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!! This is going on my projects for summer!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  60. I love your projects. You are the best. Thank you for sharing.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  61. treatment of fatty liver in ayurveda treatment of fatty
    liver in ayurveda treatment of fatty liver in ayurveda

    ReplyDelete
  62. rosacea doctor Fort Leavenworth

    Check out my weblog Pattersonville laser treatment rosacea

    ReplyDelete
  63. what can i do to help my tennis elbow

    My website ... most effective tennis elbow treatment

    ReplyDelete
  64. It's awesome to visit this website and reading the views of all mates on the topic of this post, while I am also zealous of getting know-how.

    Also visit my site; quantrim reviews

    ReplyDelete
  65. Could you tell me where you got your stencil please?

    julia

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your comments!